Not made by me but by a lady who makes everything out of papier mache and sells it at craft fairs! This is the little deer I bought, looking in awe and wonder at the wooden Christmas tree model on the mantelpiece.
And here is the rest of her stall (she let me take photos).
All the shelving for display was also card and papier mache too!
The animal faces reminded me of the illustrations in the Phillip Ardagh books.
I bought these simple wooden tree shapes from the Christmas market in Kingston upon Thames
which were whitewashed (but I painted them solid white) and had a rough string through the hole at the top. I decorated each one with sticky-backed ribbon and shiny stickers or gemstones,
then used the hole at the top for an LED light with a battery at the back, held on with a plastic coated paperclip (thus easy to disconnect when not wanted).
I had to photograph them at a bit of an angle as the LED light can be a bit savage. And I couldn't show them to you before Christmas because I was making them as presents, but they are all given out now so here they are.
One of the things I bought was a box of lenses for welding goggles. I had no idea what I would do with them, very dark green and dense, but if I hang on to things for long enough, they generally prove useful in some way. So I used DAS air dry clay
to make lots of little houses and some trees, painted them with a white pearlescent paint, glued them onto the green lenses
and then added a type of glitter made from tiny silver balls (like seed beads). By leaving an un-decorated oval at the front, it appeared to be a deep dark lake with a village huddled around it.
I still have some small circular lenses... no idea what to do with them yet.
I have always made pompoms with two pieces of cardboard cut into doughnut shapes and wrapped the wool round and round, passing it through the middle hole every time. I didn't believe a new plastic design could make it easier and faster but here it it is...
from Hobbycraft, and it DOES!
Usually a pompom takes about an hour but I made all 4 with this kit in the same time: small one first then keeping the same wool I used to tie the small one, I tied the next size and the next until they were all fixed together.
I have seen a similar one where someone suggested using wire instead of wool and I can see the benefits of that as this can be a little wobbly. I glued it to an old wooden cotton reel. I may have another go as next Christmas approaches, using some more vibrant and non-green colours and attaching them to miniature flowerpots I have tucked away somewhere waiting for their time to shine. That gives me nearly a year to find them among my craft stash!