Wednesday 1 May 2013

Pen and Ink

I was given a beautiful pen and ink set by my sister and her family a while ago...really atmospheric. The dip pen was made of glass and the ink bottles were sealed with blood-red wax and cotton seals that had to be cracked apart.



I did the usual: staring at a blank piece of paper, writing my name in different colours, scribbling to see how long the pen held ink before it needed re-dipping...all the stuff you do when you're afraid to start for real. Then I left them for quite a few months and, when I came back to them, just decided to be brave and get on with it. After all, if it goes wrong who cares? It's only a picture.



Not bad...I'm more of a maker than a draw-er, a 3D rather than a 2D, a needle and cardboard person not a pen and pencil... but am ok as long as I can copy something. So what better to copy than one of my socklets?
This one in fact...



No comments:

Post a Comment